On English language competence of University graduates

When reading a professional  Human Resources journal, I came across a leaflet about the IELTS test, which is a test on English language. These days, my part-time degree students at one of the centres are required to attend English language class. Some of the full-time Degree students are also talking about sitting for some English language test, which probably is this IELTS test.

Back in 1982, while studing at Hong Kong Polytechnic, I taught Secondary School Form 3 and Form 4 English in evening school. I am fully aware that, with English language skill up to Secondary School Form 3-4, students should be quite capable of communicating in English. The fact is, over the last 2-3 years, the English language skill of my local students in Hong Kong has deteriorated fast. Referring to the IELTS leaflet I got (see exhibit below), I would say that students with English language skill up to Secondary School Form 3-4 should be at level 6. Form 5 or Form 6 students who are outstanding in English language could reach level 7 (think of secondary school students who participate debates in English).

Over the last two years, quite a number of my Degree students (mainly part-time), including the Master Degree students, are at levels 2-3. And these students are very often required to do final year dissertation projects and write dissertation reports in 10,000 words. [There are other problems with dissertation projects, which are not further discussed here]. Thus, I sense that there must be some serious problems with the education system and learning environment that leads to the situation that we now face (poor English language skill of many students in Hong Kong). It is not sufficient to say that the situation is worrying; it is indeed scandalous.



Personally, I highly encourage students to improve their English language skill, but I disagree that University students and graduates should spend money to learn English that they are supposed to have learned in Secondary School. There is one more problem, university students are supposed to be capable to learn how to learn. Thus, in my view, for university students and graduates to attend English language classes to learn Form 3-4 level English is a very bad idea.

Finally, I expect University graduates (barring those who graduated with Degree programmes in Chinese) to have reached English language competence at levels 7-8 in terms of the IELTS scheme that I have got and shown above.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MBA Research Project [MGTM05] class [topup57/58/Full PF11] Teaching plan

Mind mapping the topic of gender

Synopsis form - an example for a fake case