A teacher should not pursue popularity as a primary goal

Centre Manager: Joe, quite a number of students submitted survey questionnaires for approval but have been rejected. From what they said, you told students that doing questionnaire survey will get higher marks for their assignment..
Me: I did not point a gun at their heads to choose questionnaire survey; if their chosen research topics and research questions require questionnaire survey, I will advise them to do so..

Centre Manager: the students did not know how to do questionnaire survey, and that processing of approval of survey questionniares takes 3 weeks..
Me: Both the UK lecturer and I have explained Research Methods to the class and I started to ask students to study for the subject of Independent Study last December (now is April). Quite a number of the students only start to work on their assignments in last minute..

Centre Manager: some students complained that the centre has double-standards; some students' application for questionnaire approval were successful while theirs were rejected though their rejected questionnaires were very similar to that of those that were approved...
Me: Students should study the comments from the approval committees and try their best to address the committee's concerns. Students attend school to learn, they do not come to our school to bargain with us like customers.. the committee's comments, as far as I know, are very reasonable.. if they have complaints, they should contact me direct... Students should not expect academic committee to always stand by to respond to their repeated "enhanced" questionnaires... For me, it is a different story: they can easily contact me, e.g. by phone....


Pleasing anybody is not my top priority in teaching; I am a teacher and I just tell all of you what I think is appropriate and right..

For students: you come to our centre to learn and you learn how to respect teachers.
Centre manager: when you deal with students' complaints, do not just treat them as customers. You also teach them what a proper learning attitude should be..

If all of you still do not like what I say, then, I should tell you that, I am a teacher, not a customer service manager nor a politician, nor a movie star..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MBA Research Project [MGTM05] class [topup57/58/Full PF11] Teaching plan

Mind mapping the topic of gender

Synopsis form - an example for a fake case